Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Blogging and Commenting

Today we learned how to make good quality comments on blog posts.  A blog is a great way for people to share their thoughts, ideas and learning.  Currently we have our class blog where I share our learning with whoever is interested in reading.  I am encouraging the kids to use the comment feature as it helps them to reflect on their learning and create a dialogue with each other about the activity.

Later on, we will have a student blog where they will all be contributors to one blog and can share/post when they want to. This article gives great reasons and explanations to the question: Why should kids blog? Blogs are now a widely popular tool in schools to showcase learning.  

Here is the link to the article: http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2011/08/six-reasons-why-kids-should-know-how-to-blog/

Personally, I have seen that blogging has a direct impact on students writing as it gives them a real, authentic audience in which to share their thoughts and ideas.  Of course, throughout the process, we are mindful of safety and teaching them how to be safe online and how to be digitally responsible.  I will always have full control over what is published on the blog.  

To start this learning, we used a blendspace (see below) to have the kids independently go through the activities to learn how to comment appropriately.  Have them walk you though it and let them teach you what they have learned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please refer to our page on how to leave a quality comment!